Saturday, April 28, 2012

Eek!!

Growing up on a farm, we of course had mice in the house from time to time. And I have always HATED the things!! Okay - I've been quite terrified of them. Scared one will run over my foot, across my bed at night, or run up my pant leg. No, these things have never happened, but I have quite an active imagination, and know these things could happen. I have always proclaimed loud and clear that I will NEVER allow any type of rodent in the house as a pet!!! In fact, in the last rental home we had - an old school building (where the mice lived long before we parked our bones there) - we trapped lots of mice. (I know it was lots, because I paid the kids 50 cents to empty the trap, when there was one in there, and I paid many euros worth of mouse money out!) I also had some mouse poison available for them to eat, and they feasted on several boxes of that. (The mice did, not the kids!)

So - where are my brains now? I brought our two oldest boys to the mall, to shop for birthday gifts for them. And we came away with MICE for their gifts. A cage, a toy, and the necessities (wood shavings, or whatever they are, for the bottom of the cage; food; water bottle, etc.) - and a white mouse (N's - he named it Snowy), and a black and white one (T's - he named it diamond.) And what makes me almost nervous (what's going on with me??) is that I think they're kinda cute!! If they didn't have mouse tails, I could say they are cute!

So how has it been with mice in the house? Well - the kids love them! So that's good!! They can pick them up and play with them, and they don't even attempt to dash away to hide. Instead, they climb up their sleeve (I have told the kids they can't let them climb inside their sleeve, as they climb up) and observe the world from a shoulder, or if the kid has a sweatshirt on with a hood on it, the mouse will go in their hood. And likely take a snooze!

I have limits - they have to be certain they don't forget they have the mouse on them (they hold them in the vicinity of the cage), because if they lose track of the mouse and it is then loose in the house ... Mother will not be happy. Neither will Dad. And then the mousies may have to leave our house.

And guess - have I said I will NEVER hold these mice!! ?? No, I have not! Because I am afraid what may happen if I say NEVER!!! Most likely I'd soon be holding the critters!

And - what did I do just after I bought these pets for the boys? I called sister Darla! I knew she deserved to have a great laugh on my behalf! I probably told her in no uncertain terms, when they got a rat, that she is out of her mind. And that I would never willingly let a rodent in our house!!

Maybe sometime I'll even get some pictures on here of the ... cute mice! :-)

5 comments:

  1. Now you are brave!!! I have vowed that there will never be rodents here - any type! After I saw mice chew through the top of the cage climb out, and sit on top thumbing their noses at me I said never.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What??!! When did you have mice that could thumb their noses at you from the top of a cage? G's mice? I seriously don't think these things could get out of the cage on their own - it's a thick plastic, and the top has a section that has wire rack-type stuff on it. Yuck - that'd be terrible! These things are so tame, it's amazing. But ... if they were to ever be lose, and lost in the house, I'd not rest easy until they were FOUND. And that'd be the end of the little mousies, I'm quite certain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Kristin - I'm not sure if I'm brave, or if I've simply lost my marbles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joni, I am sorry but you need HELP real fast as I do think you have lost your mind to allow mice willingly into your home... GROSS!!!!!!!! I would never allow them in the house as I am scard of them myself.. Maybe this is self help to get over your fears:) Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Sandy! Great to hear from you!! So this is the extreme I have to go to, to get you to shout hello to me here, hey?! :) Yes, maybe it'll help me get over my fears! I would still totally FREAK OUT if I saw an uninvited mousie in our housie ... And since A recently saw one flash past him somewhere in the yard, we've decided we need to get a CAT!! That should be an interesting mix, huh?!! Well, it'll be an outside cat, and these mice live in a cage in the house - upstairs, so ... maybe Cat and Mice won't meet?! :) When're you planning a trip to 'Land?

    ReplyDelete