How do people create the time to write on these blogs? I thought to do this as a sort of diary for the kids for ... eventually! But they don't get much detail, the way I blog ...
Today is Miss K's birthday. Of course Mom then starts to think about these seven years ... she was one sick little gal, at birth- (respiratory distress, and ?? I can't remember! Thankfully these stresses fade over time!) She's a sweet, independent, smart little lady. She has a style of her very own (she can take inventory in her closet, and come up with cute outfits I would never dream of!) She is very much a dolly girl. She loves, loves to take care of her dolls. We chuckle still about how one day (right around her 2nd birthday) she was sitting outside on a little chair, caring for her 'baby'. The 'baby' was a plain old chunk of wood for the sauna stove! But she cared for it so tenderly! :-)
She has had 'tummy' issues, which have caused much distress to her, I'm sure. But she never complains about it. As the 'tummy doctor' in Helsinki was finally determined to diagnose her so he could treat this issue, she had to go through some horrid testing- but she did not complain one word. Thankfully he was able to diagnose her, and we are able to treat her, so she is quite normal now (with her bowel functioning ... with meds, that is.) After several years of treatment, hopefully her body will be completely healed and the meds can be left behind.
Mr. A took the kids swimming so I could put her birthday cake together (our kids all prefer 'fruit-filled' cakes ... sometimes with candy on top, but often choose berries - so this one has lots of strawberries in and on it!) Soon my quiet moment will be interrupted with kids looking for a slice of that cake! Her 'real' birthday party will come in a few days, because I'm not feeling well (hopefully do not have strep throat.)
Anyhoo ....... our summer. Of course the biggest highlight is suviseurat. This year there were more than 80,000 people camped there - our days surrounded by hearing God's Word over the loudspeakers that are situated everywhere, and singing between the sermons. And meeting friends, eating ice cream :-), and ... just camper life, in general. We love the traditions we have already established from the years we have been able to attend these big services- the kids love to sell ice cream and pick up garbage from around the grounds, and earn an ice cream for doing that. We love the salmon soup, the rice porridge, seeing how the grass goes from tall on the first day, to trampled flat over the time there. I love to watch the campers roll in. We like to get there on Wednesday (the earliest they let you park there), and I am always fascinated as I watch throughout Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, as some tens of thousands of campers continue to pull in for the highlight 'vacation' of the year, for many others as well.
We actually took two weeks this year (our 'vacation'), starting from camping one night at St. John's Services, then continuing to Mummo and Ukki's (and Täti's!) for a few days. Then on to 'suvi's', for almost a week- from there we went to Finland's longest beach for a few days. Awesome vacation!! Lots of work for Mom (and Dad), but well worth the work, for the time spent and the memories created!
We were lucky to have one of our nieces here from America for the summer- she also got to experience suvi's, and Finland's summer, in general. I think she has enjoyed it- and we have sure enjoyed her!!
This summer has again been warm and sunny- so we have been swimming lots. We've picked blueberries a couple times, and should get there again soon! The kids and I all enjoy our time in the berry-woods (we call it 'our' blueberry woods, because we've never seen anyone else there!) Kids sometimes pick berries diligently, and sometimes just spend time enjoying nature. And I am fine with either!!
This past weekend we were at our last 'big' services for the year. We were there from Thursday evening until Sunday evening. The weather was a bit on the warm and humid side the first couple days, but ... better than cold and rainy, I guess!
Ok, I'd better get the table set for eating birthday cake soon!
One more thing - I am so curious who looks at this blog. Anyone willing to admit it, and if you are willing to share your address (I understand if you do not care to, if you don't personally know me ... I do not share my address to just anyone!) I will send you a Finnish chocolate bar. To everyone who responds (I dare to do that, because there are not very many people checking in here! But I am curious enough to promise delicious Finnish chocolate to all who respond! :-)
For Finnish chocolate, I'd share my address! Lol...
ReplyDeleteI feel so bad that I didn't send your big girl a birthday message yesterday (so, happy belated birthday to her!). I remembered on Monday, but the past few days have been super busy with moving, painting and cleaning...but after tomorrow, it should be all over. For a little while.
I sent her bday present over a week ago, so hopefully it made it there in time.
Anyway, I don't update my blogs as often as I should, but I did subscribe to yours, and I just happened to check in today and saw that you had posted. I should really write a new post while I'm thinking of it....
Okay, Tonya! I hope to get some artwork done for you by your kummi-girl, and get it in the mail with the chocolate!
ReplyDeleteI love to check in and read your blog:) I lost my internet for a few days so didn't get to check in on much except thru my phone. I was so bugged that I missed seeing Missy K's birthday come up. Happy, happy birthday to that little cabbage patch of a precious girl.
ReplyDeleteYay! I did it! I got it to post. Now I just have to remember how I did it next time. I have a hard time posting a comment on your blog.
ReplyDeleteChocolate bar coming your way, Kristin! :-) Miss M has also been writing a letter to your Miss M - I know 'someone messed up' the first one she was writing, so she started a new one ...
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete