Saturday, June 12, 2010

It's summer!

I hear the lawnmower humming outside (does a lawnmower hum? hmmm ... !) The kids run in and out freely and happily. We have freshly picked wildflowers in cups and jars on the counters and table - fresh ones come in every day, it seems! Haven't even seen dandelions come in for a week or two (tho' those also go into a cup of water when brought in, of course!) No stress about bedtime, because of course there's no school. It's a sweet time of the year!

We survived the last week of school (I say survived, because it's so hard to get kids to bed when it's light outside so late!) The last day of school was Saturday morning, and there they got their report cards. I'm very impressed with how our kids have done in school, especially when considering the situation - school in Finn! Kids had a fun school trip day during the last week. They saw a couple museums, got to eat at an all you can eat pizza place (they loved it!), and visited a chocolate factory - and got to buy candy from there. They all had fun!

I've been studying homeschooling ideas online. Trying to figure out where I should take a curriculum from that would be a good base for us. I think the oldest two will actually be the ones home. N would not have transportation to school, and tho' I know he sure has the strength to bike 3.8 km to school, he'd be going on a narrow road with no shoulder, and with a train track running alongside. A little nerve-wracking. And he's leaning toward wanting to stay home, anyway. I'm excited to have the extra time with the two boys! I'm actually 'planning' that I would have each of the kids home for at least a year (or part of a year), so I can have that time with them. We're planning some of the things we'll do, that do fit into schooling (baking, growing things, lots of reading, writing reports - I'm also eyeballing one online program that would give us a base in math, lang. arts, and then we can add in bits of science as we wish.)

Thinking of the move - I'm anxious in some ways, just thinking of settling in again into a new place. And I'm excited, on the other hand. We know lots of people in the area, and it'll be fun to be closer to them. I'm kind of sad to move from a place that is now familiar to us - yet kind of excited to settle into the new place. I will be a unique set up for a home, but should be kind of fun. Old building - some log walls that aren't covered up, high ceilings, fun cupboards in the closets, etc.

K gave us a bit of a scare when one side of her face started swelling a few days ago. Nobody suspected a cavity, since there was no apparent cavity there. Well, she looked terrible before they realized it's an abscess - and now, thankfully antibiotics have done their job and she looks and feels fine again.

My new glasses (first bifocals) just don't seem to be right for me. The bifocal part is awesome - but there's something with the prescription that is just not right. So I'm wearing my old glasses, and seeing the world clearly. Will have to bring those (expensive) glasses back. Will have to probably go to an eye doctor (vs. optometrist) - this I should do anyway, because of issues I've had with my eyes in the past.

We bought a camper last week - and the kids got it really scrubbed up nicely! Will be so exciting to be able to start using it!!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why the print got smaller half way thru this post ... when I go to edit it, it's all the same size. Oh well ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, hey...I remember now that you had left a note about wondering about curriculum and such..I think on my blog. I have such of a hard time knowing for sure how to set up a good, solid curriculum. As a matter of fact, I just bought a book for $0.50 from a garage sale today, called, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Homeschooling," or something like that. Notice the inclusion of the word, "complete," not just "idiot" but "complete idiot."

    I really think though, the more I've tried my hand at it all, the more I like the idea of incorporating different subjects together as much as you can, for one thing. For example, follow whatever you're going to follow for science and use that subject to then branch off into art (modeling clay to make a model of something from your science lesson, posters, shoe box diagram...or what do you call those shoe box set ups...could use it for history too...model of a settler's camp, Native American tee-pee or village, etc.). Then use that subject or lesson for a research paper and implement Language Arts..check it for sentence structure, grammar, spelling...use words they struggled with or spelled wrong for a spelling list or quiz.. we're not super good at quizzes or tests..just usually write several times if spell something wrong.

    I think that Math is a subject that I would try follow more formally.

    Hey, I have a handbook I just got a couple months ago that is put together my MACHE (MN Homeschool Association) that gives grade-by-grade and subject-by-subject outline for what should be mastered in each grade. I really think we should try sometime when both of our hubbies are home so we can talk without the kiddos distracting us and maybe get some ideas from each other.

    ReplyDelete