A couple days ago one of the legs broke off the dining room table. I did my typical fix and wrapped tape around it!! :-) Well that didn't work very well, but Dad got something propped under so it'll stay enough until we rig up a new table. The table leg had still been on (somewhat) until yesterday, it came off, but the table was propped so I didn't stick the leg back under the tape. Lucas noticed that the leg was off and told me, "Mom look! There aren't even any toes on anymore!" I had to chuckle - in other words, the whole leg is off, not even the little curled part on the bottom of the leg were left standing!
Niclas was so cute when we were talking yesterday - I can't remember what the topic was to begin with, but then he was saying that when he's grown up and if he's in the situation that he doesn't have money he will take any job he can get just to earn the money to buy food and the things that are really necessary to live. He added that there are many things we can live without, but of course he will have to have some kind job to have money to buy what is necessary. Then he said, and if there is someone else who doesn't have food, he will give them some of his money, because everyone has to have food to eat. And if for example he had $200, maybe he would give them half of it, ... or maybe even all of it if they really needed it badly and he had what he needed. He did say that he would rather save his money if possible, but he would be willing to give it away. I thought that was so precious - he was so serious. He has such a kind heart!
Travis and Derek are both very sensitive in that they want to have their sins forgiven before they fall asleep every night. They can be so challenging during the day at times - but they do not want to fall asleep without sins forgiven. Travis is a reader - when I go to the library and get books, he has the chapter books read within a day or two. He's also very bright and with a quick wit - great sense of humor and he quickly catches on to humor in books. Derek loves to draw pictures and even make books, with the words and pictures. His last book was about a castle, king, knights, etc. It's not very long, but I love the detail!
Minda is very tender - her feelings inside and out get hurt very easily. As the boys say, she has sensory issues! :-) It sounds funny to hear kids talking like that, but I think it's probably true. She also likes to write and draw, too, and is good at it. She has (actually all the kids have to some extent) an interest in helping me bake. She catches on quickly to such things as how to form a karjalan piirakka and how to make a pulla braid. She is our only child who really 'dares' to use some Finn in school and sometimes with others.
Katja should be in kindergarten in America, but in Finland she won't start until next year. I'm not worried about her academics, though. She can write all the letters and numbers, knows shapes, etc. And she has taught herself to read pretty well already, and also sounds out words and writes quite alot. She also likes to draw pictures, but she does more writing than drawing these days.
It's hard to see that the kids aren't fitting themselves in super quickly with the Finn kids, when we go visiting or have company over. I guess it doesn't seem to bother our kids very much, so I shouldn't worry. They play amongst themselves (and fight) so much and well, I guess this way they will first get to slowly get to know Finn and gain friends at the same rate.
No comments:
Post a Comment