Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Very quickly ....

Whew! Life is just a blur right now! School schedules for seven kids, when the schedule for each one varies every day is just making the days spin past in a whirl! Many people have asked me what I am going to do with all my time, now that all the kids go to school (C is in Kindergarten) - well, I seriously thought I'd have the whole house whipped into shape by now (this is the 4th week of school.) But although I have had time to start going through some corners and closets, I haven't accomplished much. But for the most part I'm okay with it this way - I will continue to keep puttering ...

Tuesday is one of the two craziest days, schedule-wise. Here's how it looks: 2 kids start school at 8:00 (one bikes - the school is 1.3 or so km. away, and the other bikes or takes the city bus to the school 5.5 km away), 3 kids at 8:45 (and one of those is C, who I drive to Kindergarten ... the other two bike), one starts at 9:00 (bikes or takes city bus), and one starts school at 10:00. Then at this point C is done with his Kindergarten at 11:00 (just for a few weeks - he's been a bit lonesome there when he's there for 4.25 hours, so we have shortened his days for a while.) Then a couple are done at 12:00, a couple at 13:00, one at 14:00, and one at 15:00. It shouldn't be feeling so crazy, because except for C, they all (now when the weather is nice) get themselves to school and back home. During the winter, I often drive the elementary kids - hard to bike on snowy, icy roads, and I'm too soft to make them walk! But they do walk home.) But somehow it's enough to just keep my scattered-brain feeling scattered! Wednesday's should be nicer (as far as getting housework done) because it is the one day when everyone has started school by 9:00, and the first ones are done at 13:00. But - such is life. I'm not really complaining, just justifying why I haven't already whipped the whole house into shape already! :) :)

Okay so this is not so quick ... sorry! :)

One thing I was meaning to mention on here a while ago was how one cell phone got stolen during the summer -the kids and I were at the swimming pools in town, and Mr. L was fortunate enough to have had a nice cell phone. But young enough (I think our kids are all so naive, they don't really comprehend how someone could actually go through a locker room, or wherever, and look for things to steal) - anyway, young enough that he didn't realize, when he noticed his phone in his shorts pocket when we got to the swim place, that he should give it to me so it doesn't get stolen. And we were there for several hours - when we were leaving, he came sobbing that he can't find his phone. I didn't know he had it along - and my heart sank to my toes hearing that. The bigger boys went to help him look- but then he said someone had actually taken his clothes from the locker room and they were in the bathrooms (you have to go outside to do that) and the phone was gone. They had already taken the sim card out .... They had also dumped T's backpack out, but not taken anything (tho' his cheaper model cell phone was in there ...) Oh, such a bummer. Our kids were just not able to comprehend how someone could do that. But they did. : (

Of all the animals we had a year ago, we were down to one mouse and one cat (Laku.) Then Laku also disappeared (a very friendly, sociable outside cat - raised by our kids from the time it was about 7 weeks old. Such a bummer to lose it - we're thinking someone took it in, thinking such a friendly cat must be needing a home.) Anyway- we then took two kittens from someone who was needing to find them a home (they're a bit too wild for my liking) and someone also wanted to give us a cat that's about a year old that had taken their yard as its home, and they couldn't have it there. We (kids and I) started doing some research, because this cat has some slightly different features and habits - and we're thinking it is possibly part Savannah (mix of some wild cat and domestic.) It's not as large as some Savannah's, but has a spotted pattern in its gray coat, a boldly stripped tail and legs - a bit of a pointier face, almost round eyes, a little bigger ears (than a common pet cat.) It also does some interesting things - it likes to sun on our deck, which is off our bedroom ... which has no stairs to it, and is about 3 meters off the ground. We were so surprised to see it there a couple days after we took it. It jumps from a window sill to the porch roof, to the deck. And loves it up there! It has also been really keeping an eye on the kitties, and keeping them in line. :) But one of the really interesting things, we (kiddos and I - hubby is not so impressed by this) is that it 'knows how' to open doors (with handles that you push down, and then push the door open.) The lady where the cat had 'adopted' their yard, said her mother tried to first take the cat as hers, but it kept opening the door to her porch and then to outside, and escaping! Well, maybe that's not so impressive, but we think it's kinda cool! It is in outside cat, but has been inside a few times for a short time.

Anyway ... our three oldest boys have gone to their first Karate class this evening - I'm sure they're going to really enjoy that! Eventually the girls and little boys would also like to learn Karate, but ... it's a bit spendy, so not everyone at once! Girls have also started going to a ... like a craft club, once/week. It's pretty fun - they do some sewing there, some woodwork, some painting, last year a couple of them made plaster-of-paris masks ...

Okay - I'll post a couple pics of the kids and that'll have to be all. Hope this hasn't put someone to sleep!




2 comments:

  1. Oh, I was just going to do another SD post and I see that you have posted. Fun! I love to hear updates from you. They are not boring at all!

    What a bummer about the phone. We are contemplating whether or not to get a phone for Miss Bee. Mei got one when she was 10 so now kinda feels like we should do the same, but she so totally not responsible for her things. What to do.

    I'd love to see a pic of the cat. Sounds very interesting. Off to start my post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting cat...they are really smart. Most of the time, Loki is really lazy, though. I agree with Kristin, it would be fun to see a picture of the cat.

    I'm contemplating posting pictures of Jeremy's party, but I'm getting really tired...maybe I'll just do a quick post.

    ReplyDelete