Tuesday, April 13, 2010

MUD Season

The kids are in their glory. I am, too. And on the other hand, I'm not. The temps have been in the 40's and 50's ... and the snow is quite quickly disappearing. That means water rushing thru ditches and culverts. That means walks and bike rides. That means playing in mud puddles, and ... driving the 4-wheeler thru the mud. Oh glorious activities for the kids! I like getting outside, too. We've been walking to the school to get D, and to meet the others too, sometimes. I also just love to see how content they are to be playing out in this 'pleasant' weather. And I know it's so healthy for them! But ..... I have a huge battle with the mud coming in the house. It's nearly driving me insane.

The mud season means the laundry pile quadruples. It means the dirt on the floors quadruples. It means the walls and cupboard doors even get mud streaked. The kids have the handy-dandy Finnish made mud clothes. Mud pants, mud boots, mud jackets ... even mud mittens. But that mud comes in the house on these 'mud clothes', and even tho the kids ALMOST always get their outer clothes off in the entry or in the laundry room, the mud and water has made its way onto their pants and socks anyway. And since the mud mittens are mostly for 'little kids', their hands are filthy. And since it's so fun to SPLASH in the mud puddles, and it's so fun to SPIN thru the mud on the 4-wheeler, the mud comes in on the shirts (because the jackets came off after they got dirty!), and on their hands and arms, their faces and hair. Oh, they so enjoy it! And oh, I'm really fighting it! I try not to grouch about the extra work it's making, except when they (older ones, especially) make some mud mess that could have been prevented (and should have been) ... such as 'forgetting' to take muddy boots off as they just quickly come in to show me something, or whatever.

Still no idea as far as where we'll be moving. I wish we could just stay here. But ... I guess it's not an option. It's a struggle for me.

K got her new glasses today, finally! It's only 6 months ago that I first mentioned at the children's clinic that it is time for her to have an eye dr. appt., and that she does need new glasses. The process is so long with socialized medicine. I suppose I could have brought her to a private pay eye dr. (which I will do for myself rather than stand in lines - hopefully will get in sooner) ... but since we pay for this (partial) coverage anyway thru hefty taxes, it just doesn't make sense to do everything via the private pay system (like I'm doing with dental work at this point.) Well, next time eye dr. won't be this long wait, because they'll automatically make her next appt. for 6 months or whatever it was. Anyway - the glasses look great on her!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I sympathize with you on the mud in the house. I do remember those mud days growing up. We had so much fun in the 'river' at the end of the road, didn't we? Floating things through the culvert under our driveway, squishing our toes through the muddy grass in the yard...

    Oh, I wish people could experience what you are seeing with socialized med out there. People are so dibble. I can't wait to see a picture of K with her new glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain!!! We don't even have any mud whatsoever but it's the dirt from outside that's finding its way in here by the truckloadful!!! Argh! I can't keep this place clean for love or money anyway, now add all the dirt to the house, the kids...

    ReplyDelete