Saturday, February 6, 2010

Skiing

We went to a ski hill today, about 45 minute drive to get there. It was so fun! We had some skis, had to rent some - we didn't spend money on lift tickets today, because there is a 'free' hill, with a tow rope. It was just perfect - you can sled on part of that one, too. Well, N wasn't thinking it was perfect after about 1/2 hour - he wanted the bigger hill. But he really had fun on this, too. Amazing how the 3 oldest boys seemed like they've grown up on skis. It's so nice to learn at a young age (as with many things!) M is much more hesitant (like me), K more adventurous - and for whatever reason (I guess because they were perfectly content to sled), the boys were the ones with the skis on. Anyway, I told A I'd really like to see the girls have a chance to get on those skis, too. So VERY reluctantly a couple of the boys had to give up their skis for about 15 minutes and the girls got to give it a try. And M didn't want to give the skis up! K was ready (I think she fell down while taking the rope up the last time.) Anyway - we decided next time we'll leave the 2 little ones with a really fun babysitter, and the girls and I will use the same 'little' hill and get some practice - A and the 3 bigger boys will get lift tickets and use the next bigger hill. It's sooooo nice to have opportunities like this with family!

N has such a gift for some athletics - he seems so 'natural' on skis. On this hill, along one side there were about 5 'bumps' and it didn't take long for the boys to be 'jumping' as they went over these. But before long, N was also turning backwards on the second 'bump' and skiing backwards the rest of the way down. The boys had such a great time!

A C 'funny' from out there: (he's 2 1/2) he and L were sledding and were seeing who could go farther. The first time C won, and the second time L did (just a little cheating on his part, but C was clueless and I didn't tattle!) So L was saying "I won! I won!" And C looked at me, pointed to L and said, "He one. I two, haah Mom?" And then added on, "Ah-ah-ahaha! I two, he ony (only) one!" in a sing-song voice! Oh did we get a great chuckle over that one!

One more thing - the last post I mentioned that T has read some condensed versions of Harry Potter. I now know that they are not condensed. I didn't realize that not all of those books are three inches thick. So since the first one is rather thin (compared to what I thought), he was done reading it in 2 days, and is just itching to get more in the house. The problem is that he doesn't really care what consequences come if his homework is not done the next day (he's never cared much about homework) - if he's reading a good book, his homework just doesn't get done. I can sit him down at the table right after school and tell him he has to do that first - and realize soon that he's disappeared. Call him back. Soon he disappears again. And so it goes. I have though had a debate within myself sometimes - when a child has no difficulties in school (and is only 8 years old), is homework really so important? The one I really do want to make sure he gets done is the oral reading in Finn.

5 comments:

  1. Okay, I think I remember now that you once said you're starting to blog but then I forgot, since I haven't been blogging. I actually a time or two wondered if I was remembering right that you blog now...then I wasn't sure how I would find it if you do...then never pursued it!

    SO fun to read your posts. Re: N translating straight from Finnish to English..he's such of a bright kid that his brain I'm sure just does that automatically. In some ways I think that's a sign of more advanced. His mind probably has the languages going almost side-by-side, no matter which one he's using...I don't know if that makes sense, but...

    Mmmm, I can almost just feel that Finnish life as you write about it. The outdoor activities, the sun peeking out and at the time is the only time you really realize it's been missing, 'cause suddenly it just seems so bright. Otherwise, the more cloudy, grayish Finnish winters have their own beauty.

    So fun to read this! H and I were just discussing our plans to travel out there this summer! :) We'll see if they pan out. We were going out to visit E & J tonight and H suddenly said, "Oh I miss J & A!!!" How do you like all the initials...I don't know which ones would be okay to use names and which not so I decided I would use no names. Anyway, then out at E & J's, J was saying how she just misses you so bad sometimes and how they caught you on Skype the other day.

    Okay, I'll save the rest of my book for another time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so easily confused! I just got back to my dashboard to see that 21 seconds ago you updated just a ton on here, so I went to read the stories. I even commented on one, I was just so excited that as I was reading these posts, you were adding more! Then I realized that just by becoming a "follower" to your blog, they showed all the posts for your blog as new posts...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and you asked if I have ever considered a no friend over bday year...ours was last year. They all opted for cash instead of a party and gift. It was so nice! And...you were right on the guinea pig..it went back to the humane society. Couldn't handle the little pellets (turds)I was finding all over as a result of S hauling it all over, including in bed with her!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and one more thing: Happy Valentine's Day to you all!!! <3 (That's a heart, btw.. it took me about 5 times of seeing that before realizing what it was)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! And you didn't tell me!!! Ok - I didn't get to read through it all, but I will enjoy reading it. Hope you don't mind that I found you.

    ReplyDelete